Miss Maiya

By Megan Comalander

“Burm! Burm! BURM!”

Her alarm clock is yelling at her in her ear and the sun is shining in through the windows. She stands on her two feet. Splashing water against her dark cheeks; she is refreshed and s ready to take on a new day.

With her bubbly personality lighting up a room when she walks in, she is always making new friends. She’s from small town Rock Hill, S.C., but her dreams take place in big cities, like Los Angeles, Atlanta, or Washington, D.C.

“Recently, I went to Washington, D.C. and it was the greatest ever! I love big cities, I want to move to one really soon, and just absorbing the different culture of the area and how busy it was and going to see the African American Museum…and the national monument! And eating food and taking Uber’s everywhere…it was a thrill,” she said.

Moving to the big city will help her fulfill her dreams of working for ESSENCE or OWN. The perfect job for her would be at a big television network that has a main focus on uplifting women and black culture.

Whether or not she is fulfilling those dreams in the next five years, she also wants to travel the world and visit many countries with a fiancé that she hopes to have by then. Her main desire in five years is to be, “thriving and filled with joy,” she said.

She continued by saying, “I want to be happy. I want to make those around me proud of me, and to say that I’ve fulfilled my God-given purpose and for him to say, ‘Job well done.’ Once I’ve done that, I know I’ve done my job on this earth.”

While she is working her way to her five-year plan, she is taking it one day at a time. Today, her main goal is to graduate college and to find a job post-graduation. She is spending time with her friends and laughing at everything. Her best friend would describe her as a “tell it like it is,” kind of person.

“My best friend is comical. We can literally look at each other, not say a thing, and die in laughter, “ she said.

“My best friend is someone who is not afraid to tell me, ‘No, you’re wrong.’ Because I’m never wrong,” she said laughing.

She is ready to conquer the world. She is a broadcast journalism major, small town girl with big dreams, and the life of the party.

She is Maiya Dickerson.

Comalander is a broadcast journalism senior