Relaxing Walk Through Lake Murray

By Rashaan Anderson

January 18th was an unusual day, in terms of weather, for South Carolina. Instead of it being cold and windy, it was actually hot enough to get side eye looks from people walking by if I wore a jacket. After coming home from campus, I decided to go to the Lake Murray Dam and enjoy the beautiful weather.

As I pulled up to the parking lot, the first thing I noticed was how many cars and people were at the Dam this particular day. I pass by the Dam on a regular basis and here is what I notice: if the weather is under 70 degrees, you hardly see people walking. But on this unusual day, it seemed as if the entire town of Irmo was walking. As I am walking, I keeping looking out at the sun shimmering off of the beautiful blue water, the speed boat passing by and the clear blue sky.

The sounds of cars passing by, with the radio cranked as high as it can possible go, usually dominate over the sound of the water crashing against the rocks. But as I mentioned, this was an unusual day. The sound and smell of the water was clear, as if I was standing on the edge. The farther I walked away from my car, which was a mile and a half away, the stronger the smell of the water became.

The hardest sense I had to tap into was the sense of taste. I was chewing on two pieces of spearmint gum during my walk to help control my breathing. At one point during my walk, I thought i tasted a hamburger. I am not sure if this was because I was hungry and was imagining these two pieces of gum as a burger or my mind was playing a trick on me.

Even as the sun was out of my view, I still felt rather warm as I was nearing my car. There was a slight breeze throughout my walk, which felt perfect because I was sweating. When I got back to my car, I sat down and felt my feet aching. It has been 6 months since I have walked the Dam and it all seemed to hit me at once. I looked up at the sky and I felt a sense of peace that I have not felt in awhile. It seemed as if I had walked all of my problems away in a span of an hour.

Anderson is a broadcast major seniorĀ