A Walk Through Five Points

By Maggie Persons

My walk through Five Points this past weekend can only be described as a one-of-a-kind experience. I’ve spent my fair share of time down in Five Points but I had never really paid attention to all that was going on around me. It took a while to convince a friend to soberly stroll through Five Points at 11:45 p.m. on a Thursday but it is completely worth it. It is a surprisingly nice night out, I feel comfortable in leggings and a long sleeve t-shirt.

Our walk begins at Salty Nut where a line is beginning to form outside. We continue down the sidewalk and see girls in 5-inch heels struggling to walk down the hill to Pavs, which is completely packed and playing music unnecessarily loud.  As we descend farther into Five Points we began to notice how crowded the place is. Almost every bar had a line of at least 30 people all struggling to somehow fight their way to the front.

I see a camera crew made up of students interviewing other students about their experiences in Five Points. Our walk continues past the fountain where the smell of Mexican food suddenly hits our noses. There is a small taco stand shortly ahead of us, operated by two men who give out free tacos if you put on a taco suit and dance. We witness a girl in the taco suit twirling around, while her friend is laughing hysterically filming her.

We walk past Cover 3 and Bird Dog where the lines are absurd and it reeks of cigarettes and vomit. The sidewalk is so crowded we are forced to walk along the edge of the street. I try not to touch anything or anyone, but I get bumped into a few times by people who have had a little too much to drink.

As we wait to cross the street to start our return walk home we hear a boyfriend and girlfriend arguing about something one of them did to upset the other. A girl is being carried by her friends into an Uber across the street from us. As the light changes, what seems like a hundred people begin crossing in every direction.

We make our way past Horseshoe, an almost completely freshmen bar and begin to smell the greasy hibachi that is Grilled Teriyaki. Just the smell of that food brings a wave of nausea to my stomach; I’ve never been a fan of it. As we make our way back up the hill past Salty Nut and Pavs I feel somewhat exhausted. I cannot wait to return home, get in bed and watch some Netflix.

Persons is a senior public relations major